Sunday, March 12, 2006

Burning of the Books (Part III)

edPeople are more subdued, I think. Definitely tired. The work is back-breaking. Solemn because people have seen and experienced much. There is a bonfire now. What I wouldn't give for a nice glass of wine or a Smirnoff Ice or Mike's Hard Lemonade. I don't drink beer, and I think wine is a bit pretentious for a campfire, so give me something I can suck out of a bottle. Although, if I sucked wine from the bottle, that would be sucking the pretentious right out of it!

Some of the Hippie Leaders are burning retired algebra and geometry textbooks. They served as kindling and many of my students are getting a bit too much pleasure out of it. If kills me, as a professor, to see a text being mistreated, but I can't sway the masses. Perhaps a part of me - the small portion that isn't a geek (my big toe?) - is a bit titilated that parabolic equations and others of their ilk are burning. I don't know.

The fire sure feels nice.

No comments: