Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Cheetos Effect

We had a meeting with an expatriot - most of our meetings are with expatriots - or expats. These are people not native to China who come here to work for a period of time and then go somewhere else.

One of the men mentioned that one of the things that's tough for expats and the companies that send them is the luxury left behind. He said, we still want our Cheetos.

I interpreted this to be the wonderfully tasty snack of champions that colors your mouth a glow-in-the-dark orange color. I also assumed this meant he and his family missed things like this that aren't easily available - or available at all - in China. I have not seen junk food. I have seen Pringles but haven't eaten any because they are horribly overpriced. I suspect when I get home I will want to stuff my face with every potato chip and snack food known to man. And watch out if you get your hand in the mix, I may eat it along with the chips.

Our leader's wife asked me what Cheetos meant. I told her my interpretation. She thought it was the general label given to the benefits package of the expats. So it might be said "Hey Charlie, here is your Cheetos package." Or "Hey John, let's discuss yoru Cheetos."

We got a huge kick out of that.

I think I will now refer to my benefits as Cheetos. Just for shits and giggles.

No comments: