Monday, September 07, 2015

Can You Unplug? Why, yes I can!

I have had several discussions recently about unplugging.  People question whether or not it is possible to unplug from electronics, emails, text, etc. for any period of time.  My husband and I took a week off in July to go to Port Austin, Michigan (our second trip there).  We rented a rustic cottage right on Lake Huron and unplugged.  The only people I texted were the two wonderful Lee's who were watching our dogs.  Otherwise, you could wait until we returned.  I don't think I even posted to Facebook, but I could be wrong.

I essentially spent the week reading, eating, swimming, kayaking, picking my bottom.  It was sublime!  The Take Five Vacation list:

1. Relaxation is bliss.  Sometimes you just have to sit back and read or drink wine or stare at the water and the wildlife.  Selfies required.  BTW, orange is my favorite color so when I found this awesome beach towel, I had to have it.  And this suit is so old it's ridiculous.  White fish on the orange tankini. Yes, please.  I can't part with it.




2. Water, water everywhere....and that's how I like it.  There is nothing more restful than water.  I could sit by the water all day for the rest of my life and never be bored. I have views from our "front porch." The sunset and Jamie in his kayak.  I had just finished swimming was sitting in the deck chair while he kept kayaking looking for fish.  Ah, the simple life.






3. Wildlife is your friend. Okay, so I have birds, but there were other animals present.  The first picture is a bald eagle.  Jamie stared at it for an inordinate amount of time while I kayaked about.  It's a tad hard to see, but trust us, it was worth watching.  Truly majestic when it took off.


The area in which we stay is quite shallow so you need to be careful when you are in the water not to run your kayak up on a huge hidden boulder.  Birds tend to flock to these locations and don't seem to mind kayakers coming up on them.



4. Find an activity you love and it won't be a workout. That's what "they" say.  It's true.  I could swim and kayak all day.  Both are excellent fitness activities.  I never really notice that it's a fitness activity until the next day when I'm sore.  Honestly, does this look like the face of someone who is engaged in a fitness activity?


5. Where will we retire?  Can it be next week?  There was a house not far from our cottage that I fell in love with.  It looked like a very old home, not the usual modern lake houses you see.  This is the view from the water.  It didn't look inhabited.  I said we would need to look into that.


Lighthouses have captivated me for years.  I am not sure if it's the mystery and the intrigue or what.  We were next to Lighthouse Park and it was nice to see the lighthouse when we were kayaking and swimming.  The park itself is very nice and offers trails to walk.



 It is possible to unplug.  We left feeling completing rejuvenated.  I was able to return to work with renewed vigor.  We already talked about returning the next year.  One week away from everyone and everything is doable and recommended by me.

No comments: