Saturday, August 27, 2005

What's Up?

I owe an explanation to many people who have been worried about me! It seems I have been regularly writing in my blog and people noticed. Then I stopped.

I can't believe it has been over a month since I have written anything. I do have a damn good reason and here it is....

About a month or so ago, I got a phone call that sent me into a tizzy. Lee Copolla, the Dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at St. Bonaventure University (SBU) (and my undergraduate alma mater) called me to see if I was still interested in a job at SBU. I had applied for a position in January 2004. The funny thing is that I had been thinking about SBU recently. Wondering what had changed and what hadn't. The call took me by surprise.

Oddly enough, the call came after the Downtown Country Market. I was talking to my sister at the time - we always catch up after we do a market or a show - a regroup, if you will. I saw "unavailable number" show up on my cell phone and assumed it was my mother. As much as I love my mother, I don't usually preempt other conversations to talk to her so I let it go to voice mail. When I listened to the message, I had to pull over into the parking lot at Barnes and Noble (it was closest to where I was). I can't talk and drive at the same time - especially something as important as this! I generally verbally assault other drivers and such and that wouldn't have been good. "Sure, Dean, I would love to come back to Bonas - you mother father, what's the matter with you, can't you drive!" That wouldn't have worked.

He said that the person they hired to fill the position didn't work out and he has left them in a bit of a bind. They wanted to interview me to begin with but since I didn't have my Ph.D. in hand, they couldn't. Now it was over a year later and he thought I might be finished. Well, I explained that I started a company (two actually), and went out on my own. The dissertation has been on the back burner for some time.

He told me that I could teach adjunct classes in the fall in the Integrative Marketing and Communication Dept. at the Hilbert extension of SBU and that if I finished my dissertation by Jan., there may be a position at SBU for me in the spring.

I agreed stating that it wouldn't be a problem at all and that yes, I would love to teach at SBU.

And truth be told, I would love to teach at SBU. SBU is an amazing school with an incredible reputation. I learned more from my experiences there than anywhere else. The opportunity to return to mold the minds of our youth is incredible - and tempting.

So now I am having a figurative heart attack because I don't honestly know if I can. I am working my ass off to achieve that goal. At the very least, the dissertation will be finished and I can move on.

Until then, I hope to write in this blog as often as I can. If I don't keep you updated, don't panic.

But do check in to make sure I am still alive and, more importantly, sane.

When life hands you an opportunity, you run with it. Don't ask questions, just accept that you were given this chance at this time for a reason and trust it. That's what happened with Wild Mountain Organics. My sister and I were given this opportunity to take this small company and make it prosper. So far so good. Check out us - we have new products! Enjoy!

No comments: