Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Used Singles for Sale or Rent

I haven't been on my blog in several months but now I have quite a bit of time on my hands to think of fodder for this blog since I started a 3 hour round-trip commute four days a week. Granted - I love that I am teaching at St. Bonaventure University; but this may start to get taxing soon.

At any rate, each day I observe something else on my journey. One of the first things I saw in my trek is a horrible roadsign - you know the signs - with the lights and the arrow that seem to scream "we mean right here - look here." The sign read "Used Singles for Sale or Rent." Of course the sign was in front of a trailer park. What made me laugh was the fact that I am single, and some may argue, used. For sale or rent. How do I sign up? I could use the money.

Which reminded me.....

A friend of mine called me a couple years ago because she had to pull over to the side of the road she was laughing so hard. There was a church sign not far from our homes that read "You can pray for the harvest, but keep on hoeing." We still chuckle about it. In fact, I think I still have the picture. We said we should send it to Jay Leno but never do. Oh well.

Passions Nightclub for Teens. Does anything strike you as odd about that statement? I drive by Passions Nightclub for Teens. I laugh. I don't have children of my own. In fact, I am about as maternal as animals who eat their young, but it bothers me that a nightclub for our teens would be named Passions. I am hardly a prude, but shouldn't our teens be doing something else in a public venue? I was a geek as a teen - not like the uber geeks who played Dungeons and Dragons and who were destined to be virgins at 45 - but I was a geek nonetheless. Shouldn't they be reading? Roller skating? Eating pizza at the local pizza joint? I am thinking there are more appropriate names for a teen nightclub. My creativity must be escaping me because a name is not top of mind - but give me a second. Your comments would be appreciated.

What I also find rather funny? Passions Nightclub for Teens is in the same town - the same town - as Used Singles for Sale or Rent. Coincidence?

No comments: