Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Gardening

Why do I choose the hottest day of the year to plant the garden?  It was so damn hot I am convinced that my nipples melted right off my breasts and slid down into my belly button.

Usually I am in Africa and am not able to plant my garden. My husband has to do it.  This year, I am able to do everything!  That's because we'd gotten rain and terrible weather for the last few months.  My husband wasn't able to till the garden or do anything outside.  I was afraid that I was going to come home to a jungle with the lawn overgrown and so on.  Thank God he was able to mow.

My mother came over to help me.  I think she enjoys getting out and doing stuff.  She loves gardening.  She does it well.

Thank God she is also damn efficient.  We planted that garden in an hour.  We had seeds and plants.  I should also mention that my husband tilled the garden at this point so we just had to make a little trough and stick the seeds in.  Or dig small holes and stick the plants in.

I am neat about it, but not as neat as my husband would like.  He would like straight rows with string to delineate veggies.  He would like labels.  He would like more order.  I just want seeds and plants in the ground and I want to shower.  Then I want to sit on my ass and wait for stuff to grow.

What we can expect in the garden this year:
Herbs:
  • Basil
  • Parsley
  • Fennel
  • Mint
  • Cilantro
  • Dill
  • Lemon Verbena
  • Sage
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
Veggies and Fruits:
  • Tomatoes (cherry and others)
  • Peppers (hot and sweet) 
  • Eggplant
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Red and green cabbage
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Green beans
  • Peas
  • Radishes
  • Turnip
  • Parsnip
  • Lettuce
  • Carrots 
  • Spinach
  • Squash
  • Watermelon
  • Cantaloupe
I think that is my list.  I am tired from planting, but excited to have planted.  Stay tuned for an update on the garden!  Here is a picture of the garden right now.
The plants we purchased already started...tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, eggplant.

Garlic that was planted last year.  We weeded it a bit.  Love garlic!

The overall garden. It's a pretty good size.


This blog has taken on so many iterations.  I used it to vent - which I will still do since I can't stop myself; I used it to participate in writing exercises for the year which lasted a week, I think; I used it for no reason whatsoever.  Now I plan to use this blog to discuss my weight loss/healthy lifestyle pursuit.  That should include whatever I do to improve my health and should include recipes that will take advantage of the bounty that the garden produces and the bounty found at the farmers market grown by those more expert at this than I am.  I am using WeightWatchers online because it works (honestly - it's the slogan for a reason).  And now that summer is here, I can go outside and workout outside.  Until it's too damn hot in which case I will still work out, I will just bitch about it a bit more.

Cheers!

No comments: