My mother also suggested that we travel this summer. Nowhere too fancy or too far away. We could just get in the car and drive. I was reminded of an article I yanked out of the Summer 2011 issue of the AAA Member Connection Magazine. It highlights ten hidden gems in Western New York. In fact, the article is titled Top 10 Hidden Gems in Western New York. Here they are:
- Griffis Sculpture Park - in or near Ashford Hollow
- Cobblestone Museum Complex (Route NY 104)
- Village of Findley Lake in Chautauqua County near PA
- Village of Angelica - Allegany County
- Abbey of the Genesee - community of monks near Rochester
- Springdale Farm - part of Monroe County park system
- Rock City Park - in Olean near SBU!
- Country Barn Quilt Trail - in Orleans County
- National Soaring Museum - Elmira
- Vineyard Express - Lockport
I think everyone who lives in WNY would also argue that many things are missing from the list. Of course, you have to remember "hidden gems." WNY has many not-so-hidden gems like Letchworth State Park, Niagara Falls, etc.