- Macaroni and cheese - but it has to be homemade, none of the glow-in-the-dark, save sailors from reefs, crap from a box.
- Sauerkraut and Polish sausage - I have always loved sauerkraut and now my husband makes it for me from scratch. I heard that there is an island off the coast of Nova Scotia that makes sauerkraut and nothing but. I think these are my people and we should meet, hold hands and sing kumbayah.
- Corned beef and cabbage - my mother would make this for us at least once us month, but would also add potatoes, carrots and turnip. Best dish ever! I now make mine in the crock pot. Best invention ever.
- Meatloaf - mine, not my mother's. Her's was more of a ground beef goulash. Mine is an actual loaf and is delicious! Top it with ketchup or bbq sauce - your choice.
- Soup - I know this could mean any number of soups, but I have to lump them together because it often doesn't matter what soup when I want soup to comfort me. Chowders, my mother's pea soup, my mother's bean soup, chicken noodle, pumpkin, you name it.
- Tuna noodle casserole - I just love this little gem. When done properly it can be creamy goodness that melts in your mouth if it doesn't burn it first.
- Homemade bread - this especially works when it is fresh out of the oven. Spread a little butter on it or dip it into a little olive oil and you have yourself a bit of heaven.
- Ice cream cake - I have loved ice cream cake since I was a tot. In fact, I still remember the cruelest thing my father ever did to me was buy a faux ice cream cake all iced up to look like cake. It was on April Fool's Day so it was allowed. The look on my face was priceless from what I understand. I still remember that sinking feeling when I thought I had an entire cake and all I had was a frosted cake pan. Luckily he had the real thing in another freezer. Luckily.
- Pizza - sometimes you just want a greasy pepperoni pizza. Often when I travel, I come home and want a pizza. That says something.
- Milk - does a beverage count as a comfort food? When I am traveling, I always want milk when I come home. I know I'm old-school in wanting to drink only pasteurized milk. Not interested if the bad stuff hasn't been killed off.
Sunday, March 11, 2012
My Ten Favorite Comfort Foods
I'm reading an article in Cooking Light Magazine, one of my favorite magazines, and it asks what are you ten favorite comfort foods? Actually, I don't know that it asks, but the editor wrote his piece about his ten favorite comfort foods. Here are mine in no particular order, but if it came to mind first, perhaps that means something: