Thursday, June 11, 2015

Gnocchi and Mushrooms

I purchased some mushrooms last weekend thinking I would use them with a steak we grilled but we did not.

I didn't want them to go to waste so I thought I would whip something up. I had some gnocchi also and Googled recipes to include both.  I then combined several recipes to call my own to great fanfare.  The fanfare was mine, my husband wasn't as excited.  That means that I have some leftovers that will become lunch today.



How I did it:
1 package gnocchi (I use the vacuum-packed fresh gnocchi not dried - in the future I will make my own)
2 containers of mushrooms - your choice. I used shiitake and portobello
1 clove garlic
1 shallot
olive oil
Meyer lemon olive oil (I got a small sample of this in a gift basket I recently received.  I think you could use lemon juice.)
1 T butter
1 t dried basil
1 t dried oregano
White wine
Chicken broth
2 T tomato paste
1 T parsley
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Boil the gnocchi according to package directions.

Heat olive oil in a large pan - I used about 4 T.  Slice garlic and shallot and add to pan.  Cook until fragrant and soft.  Add 1 T Meyer lemon olive oil.  Add the mushrooms and cook until soft.  Add butter and stir until melted.  Add basil and oregano and stir until blended.  Add white wine and chicken broth, stir to blend and cook about 5 minutes.  Add the tomato paste and stir until blended.
Drain gnocchi and add to the pan.  Stir to coat.  Add cheese and parsley and stir until blended.

Mangia!

No comments: