Thursday, February 09, 2006

Observations

So, I pull into the parking lot at my local Tops grocery store and sit in my car for a moment because I am on the phone with my sister. This older couple pulls their Lincoln or other ugly big ass vehicle in the spot in front of me. By older, I mean older than me and certainly older than my mother. I try to pull all the way through in the parking lot, but a minivan was in front of me and before I could go forward, the big car came up.

This guy pulled so close to my car that I thought he was going to drive into my front seat. I could see who I assumed to be his wife, saying something to him. I don't read lips but I hope it was something like "Hey, dumbass, wanna not hit the car in front of you especially since the driver is sitting in the front seat looking at us and she is not only younger but much sassier."

Whether that was actually said is doubtful, but I'm creative and like to put words in other people's mouths.

Then the woman gets out of the car after more words were exchanged, gets a shopping cart from the cart corral, and heads into the store. The husband sits in the car and pulls out his book to read!

I know I have said in past blogs that I am all about women doing things for themselves and such. Absolutely. But are you kidding me? There is no way I am maneuvering through Tops while my lazy husband/brother/f...pet sits in the car reading.

I imagine the conversation before she got of the car and after she yelled at him about almost hitting me. It sounds like this: "Now, Edith, make sure you get me some Genny Creme Ale - none of that light beer shit - and get me a chicken pot pie. And do it fast, I don't want to be sitting out here when I can go home and watch Nascar reruns."

I relayed this to my sister and we had a good laugh. I wanted to say something to him. But then I had to think that perhaps he can't walk around the grocery store for whatever reason. He can't walk (but he can drive - marginally), he gets all sentimental in grocery stores, he can't stop fondling melons, the list goes on. So I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, reluctant as I was to do so.

I ended my conversation and did my shopping. When I returned to my car, the man was still in his. He had stopped reading and was now napping. At least I think it was napping. I suppose he could have been dead. But I had a stir fry to make so I left him there waiting for his Genny Creme Ale and his pot pie.

Another note - I was driving home from work yesterday and to work this morning on this road that can only be described as a roller coaster. It scares me! But I can't not drive on it because it does cut my drive time down but it's also damn fun and the view is spectacular! I am on this road last night looking around. There are fields and hills that are pristine! The snow has not been touched. It's just glistening in the late afternoon sun. By this morning, those same fields and hills now bore the marks of the snowmobile brigade.

I understand the need for snowmobiles. My mother is from the northern tip of the island of Newfoundland (yes, I'm half Newfie, don't hold it against me) and if you don't have a snowmobile up there, you don't get needed supplies from October to June. But around here they are pretty much toys. And they mar my landscape. I don't like it.

Lastly, commentary on Kanye West and his over the top remarks at the Grammy's last night. Let it be known that I don't watch the Grammy's because they usually piss me off because those who should win are usually never nominated, but I did get the recap on NRP this morning. Good job, Kanye, your arrogance is to be applauded. Let's hope those who see you as a role model recognize your ridiculousness and don't try to emulate it. Perhaps you should try to appreciate what you have and what you have been given.

No comments: