Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Katrina Follow Up Story

For those who have read my blog recap of my trip to St. Bernards Parish, thank you. I now have pictures along with my commentary on my website at www.pwhoffmann.com - click on BonaResponds.

I found out through a friend (her touching story is coming up) that Buffalo Geek mentioned me on his blog! I was excited to be mentioned on anyone's blog, but his blog is quite insightful and damn hilarious. Please take a moment. Anyone who has a tagline that reads "The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid" is okay in my book.

A friend of mine - N - mentioned that she was quite touched by my experiences in New Orleans. She wanted to let me know that her sister-in-law used to live there and has many friends there - some from their home town. One such friend lost everything. Her house was flooded, she has relocated, at least temporarily, and has nothing. Shortly after Katrina, N and others managed to get some money together for this resident so that she had something.

N ran into the gentleman who photographed her wedding. He was retiring and was getting rid of his negatives and such. N got the negatives to her wedding album. She then remembered that her friend in New Orleans also used this photographer for her wedding. When N inquired, sure enough, the photographer had the negatives. After a bit of work, the woman in New Orleans at least has some memories - a brand new wedding album.

It really makes you think how we are all interconnected. It also reminds you that you can make a difference no matter how small you think your contribution is. To someone, it may mean the world.

Kudos, N - you slut! (That's a private term of endearment and not meant as an advertisement or insult.)

No comments: