Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Trains sometimes kill you if you stand in front of them

First, let me say that I am in no way suggesting that the following story is not tragic. I feel for the family and friends struggling with this incredible loss.

How do you not hear a train coming when you are walking on the railroad tracks?

I have lived near trains my entire life and I hear them from miles away. When you are near tracks and on train is approaching, not only do you hear the whistle loud and clear, but you also feel the train. There is a pretty distinct vibration associated with a train a comin'.

A few weeks ago, a couple was killed walking home from a mini-mart. The most direct route from the mini-mart to their home was over the railroad tracks.

Something else I know from experience - don't walk on tracks for any length of time - if at all. I don't care if it is the most direct route. Take the longer route. Trains kill people.

And a train killed this couple. People are still wondering how it happened - was it a suicide of some sort? I find it hard to believe that, even if your back was to the train, you didn't hear it, see the lights, feel the earth vibrating. I don't understand.

This sort of accident is a tragedy, but a tragedy I can't help but think could have been prevented.

Take care when walking on tracks.

Or, better yet, walk on the side of the road so that a drunk driver can run your ass over and then flee the scene.

No comments: