Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Garden Recipes

What do you do when you have a bumper crop of everything in your garden?  You make stuff!  We had a crap load of wonderful herbs and cabbage, carrots, peppers, carrots, you name it.

Caprese salad done my way.

Coleslaw my way.

Tabouli to take advantage of mint and parsley.

Recipes:
Caprese Salad done my way:
Pick fresh tomatoes from the garden.  In my case I used grape tomatoes and whatever else happened to be there.  If grape tomatoes, cut in half.  If others, cut small enough to be half a grape tomato.
Cut up fresh mozzarella small enough like the tomatoes.
Cut up fresh basil by rolling the leaves and slicing.
Add a bit of olive oil
Add balsamic vinegar

I don't measure any of the above.  I add enough olive oil and vinegar to touch each of the pieces and to taste.  Also add a little salt and pepper to taste.  Stir up and serve.

Coleslaw my way:
This recipe was adapted from Robert Irvine and Bobby Flay of Food Network.  Far be it for me to think I can improve on two wonderful chefs, but I did try.  This recipe is delicious and takes advantage of what you have growing in the garden.
1 head green cabbage
1 head red cabbage
2-4 cups carrots
2-4 cups turnip
1 onion
1 c. mayonaise
1/4 cup champagne or other white wine-type vinegar
1 tsp celery seed
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp try mustard
salt and pepper to taste
Blend all ingredients from mayo down into the dressing.  Chop all veggies into slaw (some like it very finely chopped, others more like ribbons, if you will).

Tabouli:
This recipe was adapted from Food Network.  Adapted is the wrong word.  It was damn near taken completely from Food Network because it's so good.
1 cup bulgar wheat cooked according to package direction (likely with 1 cup water)
1 cup parsley (I use a combination of flat leaf and Italian parsley)
1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
1 small onion diced
3 tomatoes diced
2 cucumbers diced
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
The recipe suggests that you seed the cucumber.  I never do.  Everyone in the pool, I say!
Cook bulgar according to package directions.  When finished, add all ingredients through cucumbers.
Mix the olive oil and lemon juice.  Add to veggie and bulgar mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Let sit in the refrigerator several hours.  I usually make mine the day before and let it get good and tasty overnight.

No comments: