Sunday, November 23, 2014

Butternut Pumpkin Risotto



What do you do with fall veggies?  My nieces grew pumpkins this year - eatin' pumpkins - and they gave us two.  I also had a great butternut squash from the farmer's market.  I cut both up and roasted them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper at 350 for about an hour - about.  I stirred every so often (how's that for vague instruction?)

After the squash was good and soft, I put about a cup in the food processor to mash it up so that I could add it to the risotto.

Then I used a recipe adapted from Cooking Light (link to the specific recipe is not available as I write this - will try to find it and add it later).

4 cups chicken stock/broth
1 cup white wine
1 cup risotto (arborio rice)
1 cup mashed squash (see comments above)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 cup cheese (I used a combo of parmesan and cheddar because it's what I had and needed to use)

Bring chicken stock to a boil on the stove.  In a skillet, add olive oil, onion and garlic and cook until both soften.  Then add the arborio rice and cook for 1 minute.  Add the white wine and stir until absorbed (not too long).  Then add chicken stock one cup at a time until each cup is absorbed, stirring nearly constantly.  Keep in mind that everyone always says you need to stir risotto constantly.  I do, kinda.  Sometimes I refill my wine glass; sometimes I run to the loo.  The risotto has never failed me.  Don't go watch TV or something.

When the chicken stock has been absorbed, add the mashed squash (butternut squash and pumpkin in this case).  Then add the cheese and salt and pepper (should you want salt and pepper - with the cheese, I don't add as much salt - but I love pepper).

Then serve.

No comments: